Incredibly tender beef in a flavorful gravy... perfect for sopping up with a nice crusty bread, or drizzling over mashed potatoes , rice or noodles.
Swiss Steak with Onion Gravy
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 1/2-2 lbs round steaks
- 1 cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 cups beef broth (or beef bullion dissolved in water)
- Cut round steak into 6 serving size pieces.
- On a cutting board, dredge pieces with flour, salt and pepper.
- Pound flour into the meat with a meat mallet.
- Turn pieces, dredge, and pound until they can't hold any more flour.
- **TIP** put the flour and steak in a large Zip-Lock bag... it saves so much time and mess!
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil and brown steak pieces on both sides.
- Place in a casserole dish. (with a lid or use foil)
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet.
- Saute until onions are limp.
- Spread onions and garlic over steak pieces in casserole dish.
- Add enough beef broth to barely cover meat.
- Bake, covered, at 300F for 2 hours or until fork-tender.
- Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.